Music fills historic Nequasset Meetinghouse at Yule Sing
Holiday melodies filled Woolwich’s Nequasset Meetinghouse at the community’s Yule Sing and Tree Lighting. Sunday’s program marked the 24th year for the holiday tradition said Collette Combs, chair of the Special Events Committee.
The Monstweagers played many holiday classics featuring solo performances Sharon Pyne and Doug Protsik sang. Protsik shared an old favorite called, “The Old Lamplighter” asking everyone to join in to sing the chorus.
Rina VanValleenburgh led everyone in the singing of “Silent Night,” “The First Noel,” “I’ll be home for Christmas,” “White Christmas,” and “Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer.” Santa Claus made his much anticipated entrance following a swinging rendition of “Jingle Bells.” Also performing were Olive Beeton, Lilly Pomerleau and Lily Wright, all members of the 7th grade Honors Chorus at Bath Middle School.
Selectman Allison Hepler served as master of ceremonies. "No Yule Sing would be complete without a reading of “Twas the Night Before Christmas,” Hepler said introducing Anne Pierson who recited the classic story to children. The children also heard a Yuletide message from Pastor David Ouellette who joked his Methodist church was closer to Santa’s home at the North Pole because the church is in North Woolwich.
John and Edna Kennedy had the honor of throwing the switch lighting the Christmas tree. The Kennedys have volunteered many hours caring for cemeteries. On behalf of the community, Selectmen's Chair David King Sr. thanked the men and women of Woolwich’s EMS and fire departments. He also thanked the town administrator, office staff and all the committee volunteers.
“Together, their dedication and hard work is what makes our community the wonderful place it is to call home,” he said.
Along with wishing everyone a safe and wonderful holiday season, Woolwich Fire Chief Mike Demers reminded everyone to water their Christmas trees every day and check their holiday lights to be sure they’re working properly. Remember, too, to check smoke alarms and change the batteries, and smoke alarms should be on every floor including in the basement, he added.
Donations of non-perishable food items were collected for the Bath Area Food Bank.
Following the program, guests were invited to stay for light refreshments.