In celebration of Pumpkinfest, a special demonstration wool spinning is planned for Sunday, Oct. 13 at the Chapman-Hall House, located at 270 Main St., Damariscotta. Louise Miller, education director for Lincoln County Historical Association ,will show the process of spinning wool fiber into yarn and will be available to answer questions from noon until 4 p.m. The house museum will also be open for tours at this time.
The Chapman-Hall is the oldest known house standing in Damariscotta today. The house is a rare Maine example of a plank-on-frame building. Nathaniel Chapman moved to Damariscotta, which was then called Nobleboro, with his wife and family in 1754. Nathaniel was a house wright and was encouraged to make the move by his step-brother Anthony Chapman who had settled in the area now known as Back Meadow.
The Hall name became part of the house’s history when the Chapmans sold the property in 1835 to the newly married couple from Waldoboro, Tilden and Elizabeth Hall. The house remained in the Hall family until 1907.
Chapman-Hall House will be open an extra day, Monday Oct. 14 from noon to 4 p.m., in support of Pumpkinfest festivities. This will bring to a close the 2019 season for the historic site.
Admission to tour the house is $5 per person; children 16 and under are free. The spinning demonstration is open to the public, free of charge, and is not part of the house tour. The Chapman-Hall House is one of three historic sites under the care of the Lincoln County Historical Association.
For more information about the Lincoln County Historical Association, visit www.lincolncountyhistory.com