The Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington Railway (WW&F) will be reopening a 1-mile stretch of track between Top of Mountain Station and Trout Brook Station to public trains for the first time since 1933. The rebuilt section of line, dubbed the ‘Mountain Extension’ has been painstakingly rebuilt by a cadre of volunteers and a select group of contractors who worked alongside the Museum’s volunteers to assist in the project’s completion.
The reconstruction of the ‘Mountain Extension’ involved the rehabilitation of Right-of-Way, installation and replacement of many culverts, the restoration, movement and installation of a new 65-foot bridge over Trout Brook, construction of over 1-mile of track, construction of a new station building at Trout Brook, installation of a turntable at Trout Brook and many other
In addition to the work completed by our dedicated volunteers, this project would have been impossible without the support of many businesses and organizations including Jeffrey Verney Contracting of Alna, TEC Associates of South Portland, Chesterfield Associates of Westport Island, along with the National Society for the Preservation of Covered Bridges, Amherst Railway Society, Massachusetts Bay Railroad Enthusiasts, Midcoast Conservancy, the Town of Alna, Maine Dept. of Environmental Protection, Army Corps of Engineers, and the National Park Servic.
The general public’s first opportunity to ride trains on the newly rebuilt section of Railway will be during the WW&F’s Annual Picnic Saturday, Aug. 13 with trains leaving Sheepscot Station hourly between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Find tickets for the WW&F’s Annual Picnic and other trains at wwfry.org/tickets.