Mountain Valley Conference girls soccer

Thayer plays well in net but Wolverines lose

Mon, 09/10/2018 - 8:45am

Sydnie Thayer recorded 21 saves for the Wolverines but Monmouth Academy won 7-0 Saturday Sept. 8 at Wiscasset Middle High School.

Thayer, one of only two seniors on WMHS’s roster, assumed the net keeping duties after starting goalie Lily Souza was lost to a knee injury. Souza was hurt two days earlier in Thursday’s soccer game at Lisbon.

Thayer made 11 saves in the first 40 minutes of play and added a dozen more in the second half of play. Monmouth ended the game with over 30 shots on goal.

Freshman Abby Crawford scored the first goal for the Mustangs just three minutes after the opening kickoff. At 31:25, she scored again from just outside the 18, with Alicen Burnham picking up an assist.

With 15:59 left until halftime, Audrey Fletcher on the left wing centered a pass to Burnham who scored. Just 60 ticks later Burnham booted the ball into the net again putting Monmouth up 4-0, where the score stood at the half.

Audrey Fletcher scored five minutes into the second half and Megan Ham’s goal at 19:44 made it 6-nil. Fletcher scored again in the game’s closing minutes.

The Wolverines’ defense was tested early and often by the visitors. During one five- minute stretch in the first half, the Mustangs took four corner kicks in a row. They added five more before the half ended but failed to convert any of them into a score.

In the first half Wiscasset’s Gwen Webber intercepted Fletcher’s pass to Crawford. She kicked the ball downfield aiming for Alyssa Basset but Monmouth’s Libby Clement got to the ball first.

The Wolverines’ offense struggled throughout the game to maintain possession of the ball. Mustang keeper Destiny Clough was called to make just two stops, one in each half.

The loss dropped class D Wiscasset to 0-3. Monmouth, a class C high school improved to 3-1. The two teams will meet again at Monmouth on Sept. 22. Besides Souza, the Wolverines had three other players sidelined with injuries.

Over in Lisbon on Thursday, Sept. 6, the Greyhounds shut out WMHS 8-0. The bigger loss for the Wolverines was when Souza went down with her injury early in the second half. She finished the game with 16 saves.

Kiley Merritt scored three times for the hosts who entered the game with a 2-1 record in Mountain Valley Conference play. Lisbon, up 3-1 at halftime, out shot Wiscasset 31-1.