PORTLAND, Maine – In response to the increased risk of community spread of COVID-19 in Maine, Maine Medical Center (MMC) is limiting visitors to pediatric patients and patients with other special circumstances beginning Saturday, March 21.
These visitor restrictions are being made to protect the health and safety of patients and employees of Maine Medical Center and are in addition previously announced restrictions. They apply to all hospital, outpatient clinic and medical practice, urgent care and emergency departments at all MMC and Maine Medical Partners (MMP) locations.
“We recognize that family support is important to our patients, particularly the very young and those facing end-of-life decisions,” said Jeff Sanders, President of Maine Medical Center. “While this was a difficult decision, we feel it is the best way to protect the health of our patients and of our care team members.”
Under the new policy, no visitors are permitted at MMC or MMP except in the following circumstances:
· Pediatrics (one parent/guardian at a time allowed in all areas)
· Obstetrics (one spouse/birth partner allowed in labor and delivery area)
· Day Surgery, often called outpatient or ambulatory surgery (one person involved in care)
· End of Life care (one visitor at a time for patients within 24 hours)
· Extraordinary circumstances (one person at a time), if presence is necessary for communication with care team or patient support (e.g., patient with disabilities)
· One person allowed for the purpose of picking up a patient for discharge
· One person allowed as an escort to emergency department, outpatient and ambulatory areas in some circumstances
Infectious disease experts recommend social distancing as a way to help contain the spread of COVID-19. While the vast majority of people infected with COVID-19 will experience mild to moderate symptoms and make a full recovery, COVID-19 can be very serious for vulnerable populations, especially older people with underlying health conditions.
MMC recently restricted its public entrances and instituted health screenings for all visitors. To learn more about the visitor restrictions at Maine Medical Center, visit www.mmc.org.