Girls’ summer soccer

Richmond shuts out Wiscasset 5-0

Thu, 07/11/2019 - 3:30pm

Richmond scored the first of five unanswered goals 10 minutes into the game defeating visiting Wiscasset 5-0 Wednesday night, July 10 at Patrick R. Coughlin Field. Richmond won by the same score two weeks earlier when the longtime rivals met in Wiscasset.

Because the temperature at game time was a comfortable 72F, both teams agreed to play 40-minute halves, the same as they do during the regular high school soccer season. Due to the heat, recent games have been broken into 20-minute quarters.

A big crowd of soccer fans lined the sidelines, as always when these two teams meet.  The hosts took the first shot on goal just 90 seconds into the game. The ball whistled in from the right side towards the far post. Wiscasset keeper Lily Souza very alertly moved to her left and made a nice save, punting the ball downfield.

Wiscasset next drove the ball deep into Richmond’s end of the field. Zoe Walsh passed off to Latisha Wright. She carried the ball down the center of the field but her shot was broken up by a Richmond defender. For the next six or seven minutes, Wiscasset kept Richmond on its heels controlling the ball at midfield. Jodi Harrington crossed a pass inside the 18-yard line to Cara Viele but her shot bounded wide of the far post. Wright played the ball back to Zoe Waltz but her shot was also wide, rolling out of bounds.

When Richmond next regained possession the hosts drove deep with Abby Johnson scoring from just outside the 18-yard line. About two minutes later the hosts struck again when Brianna Vintinner rebounded a missed shot and found the net.

Wiscasset’s next scoring opportunity came late in the first half. Gwen Webber at center halfback passed the ball ahead to Viele but her shot was batted down and caught by Richmond’s goalie.

With 10 minutes left until halftime, Paige Lebel scored, putting Richmond up 3-nil. An official scorebook wasn’t kept but the teams were about even with six shots each through the first 40 minutes of play. Richmond scored again five minutes into the second half and added a final goal late in the game. Wiscasset came close to averting the shutout several times, but just couldn’t seem to put the ball in the net.

Brianna Orr, from Webber, made a nice run down the sideline, but her shot carried wide right. Another shot on goal by Paige Davenport was well-struck but sailed over the crossbar. Two others shots came late in the game. One off the foot of Webber was blocked by the goalie and momentarily loose in front of the goal before being cleared away. Viele followed with a shot low at the goal mouth but the ball was scooped up and saved by the keeper.

When the referee blew the game’s final whistle, the players shook hands and exited the field to a round of applause from the fans.

Wiscasset was short a few of its players and still hasn’t played Richmond at full strength. The teams don’t play each other during the Mountain Valley Conference regular soccer season but will meet in a preseason game at Wiscasset Sept. 3. On Aug. 29, Wiscasset will host Temple Christian for its first high school pre-season game.

There are two more home summer soccer games. Wiscasset hosts Medomak July 17 and MVC rival Lisbon on July 24.