Owner, firefighters put out Alna home fire

Posted:  Sunday, January 14, 2018 - 11:00pm

Firefighters from five towns responded to a structure fire at 131 Head Tide Road in Alna Sunday night. No one was hurt and the homeowner should able to stay there once a hole in the outside wall is fixed, Alna Fire Chief Mike Trask said at the scene.

Trask said it appeared the fire started in the area of a wood stove and caught a sill on fire at Gene Perry’s one-story ranch home. Perry used a fire extinguisher, “which probably helped a lot,” and firefighters put out the rest, Trask said.

Wiscasset, Newcastle, Whitefield and Jefferson fire departments aided Alna. A Lincoln County sheriff’s dispatcher said the report came in at 9:30 p.m. The mutual aid response was very good, Trask said.