Tuesday afternoon, April 28, the following letter from Wiscasset Middle High School Principal Charles Lomonte to seniors and their families was posted at wiscassetschools.org:
I hope this letter finds you and your family well as you make preparations to finish out the 2019-2020 school year. Since the announcement of COVID-19 and WMHS distance learning many of you began to question the end of the year activities. With so many “unknowns,” decision making for late spring and the end of the year was difficult. I wanted to communicate as much as possible regarding decisions about the end of your school year in one letter in order for you to have accurate and clear information, so here goes:
● Last student day (for seniors only) is now May 29. This decision was voted upon by the Wiscasset School Committee and supported by the Superintendent.
● Senior returns and pickup day will be held on Friday, May 29. Students should adhere to their specific arrival time to avoid any health risks.
Seniors will arrive at front door of school with the following items:
● School laptops/w chargers and case - Please clean laptops and remove all decals.
● All textbooks that belong to WMHS.
● All teacher books that may have been loaned to you.
● Any teacher/classroom learning materials that may have been loaned to you.
● All WMHS library books
● All sports uniforms
Seniors will receive the following items:
● Their cap and gown with all cords.
● The 2019-2020 WMHS Yearbook (if you purchased one).
● All personal materials stored in the students locker.
Senior awards and scholarships: Pre-recorded video available June 9 at 6 p.m.
The ability to physically host the evening would be a health risk for you and your guests. This awards night includes a pre-recorded video including all Senior Awards and Scholarships normally held on Senior Awards Night. WMHS Staff are in the process of coordinating this video that will be streamed via link available on June 9 at 6 p.m. Awards will be mailed to each recipient after the event. It is our hope that you and your family will enjoy this video from your homes.
WMHS Prom: After discussion with class officers and school personnel, it was decided to not hold the 2020 school prom this spring. We appreciate our students in helping us make this difficult decision.
● 2020 WMHS Graduation: A decision was made not to host any indoor ceremony due to health and safety risks of our students, staff, their families, and friends. We are however hosting a safe gathering/abbreviated ceremony and car procession outdoors followed by a special closing activity at the school honoring our 2020 WMHS graduates on Thursday, June 11 at 7 p.m. WE ARE ASKING ALL PARTICIPANTS TO MAINTAIN REQUIRED SOCIAL DISTANCING THROUGHOUT THE EVENT.
Students will receive their WMHS diplomas during the event. Arrival time for all students is 6:30 P.M. Students are expected to wear caps and gowns for this event.
It is our hope that the spirit and joy of the occasion will shadow the disappointment of not hosting a regular ceremony.
I understand this was not how you envisioned your Senior year to end. I am so proud of you. I am proud of the way you handled this disappointment. We never know what life will throw our way. I know this experience has made you stronger, and wiser.
The spirit of WMHS will always be with you and what you have learned here will help mold your future.
I wish you and your family health and peace as we wind down a most memorable school year.