Attention artists: ‘Art in the Square’ opens Nov. 29

Tue, 11/05/2019 - 8:45am

Story Location:
1 Townsend Avenue
Boothbay Harbor  Maine  04538
United States

A new shipment of 12-inch by 12-inch canvas squares has just arrived at Boothbay Region Art Foundation (BRAF), 1 Townsend Avenue, Boothbay Harbor. This is the “green light” for all regional artists to obtain just-the-thing needed to create a masterpiece! This challenge is for people of all ages to use their imaginations to paint, draw, glue, print, weave or whatever upon 144 square inches (not counting the edges) of empty, white space.

The purpose of this endeavor is to raise money for BRAF’s Scholarship Fund and its sponsorship of the annual Pre-K through grade 12 Student Art Show.

This is an opportunity for art lovers to purchase original artwork just in time for holiday gift-giving: artist/participants receive 75% of each $100 dollar canvas sold. The remaining 25% goes toward the student show held Mother’s Day weekend.

Finished squares need to be submitted by Sunday, Nov. 24 between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. or Monday, Nov. 25 from 9 a.m. to noon. This assures readiness for Nov. 29/Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, when the exhibit first opens at 11 a.m. Based on tradition, sales are brisk as soon as the doors open.

“Art in the Square” will be joining the holiday celebrations with an all-day open house and reception during the Harbor Lights Festival, Saturday, Dec. 7, 4 -6 p.m.

We also participate in Gardens Aglow/Festival of Lights which has become a highlighted end-of-the-year event for returning visitors who are making this an annual winter escape to our peninsula.

Please note: BRAF hours: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday through Sunday, during the Annual ARTinME November exhibit. This schedule for open hours will continue throughout the month of December.